Land Character Internships: Adventuring on Land!
Welcome to the start of an amazing adventure! Our LAND CHARACTER internship course is an amazing introduction to the world of improvisational thematic entertainment for children away from pool and water-based venues. It is a simpler version of our fin-tastic Fintern (Mermaid Intern) course and only covers non-swimming party and character work.
The internship course is formatted like a full college vocational course with reading, writing, practical, and field trip assignments expressly designed to make you an extraordinary children's live entertainment performer. If you already have entertainment experience this course will STILL make you a better performer, challenging you to truly think hard about your art and to bring it to an extraordinary new level of mastery.
What is An Intern?
An Intern is a person new to the field who is interested in becoming a well-rounded children's performer but does not yet possess the skills needed to do the job.
Do You Accept Men?
Yes, absolutely! If you have aspirations of being a fairy tale prince, jungle explorer, warlock, spy, Santa Claus, a pirate, or more then we'd love to hear from you!
What are the Course Pre-Requisites?
Pre-req's are listed below near the application.
How Long Does It Last
Three months at a minimum; normally up to five. The course takes longer if an intern falls behind in any course requirements or has not shown sufficient mastery of a task / learning objective.
Each week of this course contains approximately 8-16 hours of homework and assignments, totaling 160-320 hours based on individual aptitude and/or pace.
What is the Method of Learning?
This internship is comprised of video reviews, live calls, hands-on labs, practice, field trips, reading and writing assignments, video watching assignments, and real client site job shadowing with existing employees.
Can I get College Credit For This Internship?
Possibly. That depends on your college or university's own guidelines related to internship credit. We can provide a written course syllabus to your college advisory panel if we are given their contact name and email address for discussion. We DO NOT track these people down for you. It is up to you to locate them and gather any needed documentation / forms from them for our team to help you fill out. Ultimately it is up to your college or university to approve or disprove any college credit opportunities. We do not have control over that decision.
College Grade Expectations
Interns are encouraged to attend their existing college, have a different job during the week, or engage in other activities M-F. Any currently enrolled college student falling below a 2.5 GPA will be removed from the program to focus on improving their grades and will be uneligible to return to the program until the following year.
Do You Accept People Outside of California?
This land-based course is dependent on our staff being able to work with you in person every 1-2 weeks to hone your skills, just like a traditional acting class. As a result it is not a good fit for remote / distance learning.
What does this internship cover?
The LAND Character Internship Covers Vocational Skills Related to Child-Centric Live Performance Art and Party Performance:
- Audience Engagement
- Balloon Design Artistry
- Basic Camp Crafts
- Child Protection Laws & Anti-Bullying Awareness
- Costume and Prop Construction, Maintenance, and Repair
- Face Painting and Glitter Body Art
- Improvisational Acting and Character Development
- On Camera Conduct and Presentation for Still and Video (e.g. interview techniques, common set etiquette and terms)
- Story Telling
- Teaching Songs and Games
- Vocal Inflection, Projection, and Dynamics
- Land-Based Educational and Developmental Play for Children
- Land-Based Fitness for Children and Adults
It Also Covers Vocational Skills Related to Workplace Readiness and Culture:
- Client Contract Comprehension
- Client Expectations Management
- Customer Service
- Group Management
- Individual and Team-Based Problem Solving
- Project Planning & Goal Setting
- Proper Conduct in Client Settings
- Reading Comprehension
- Risk Management for Child-Based Events (both in and out of water)
- Scope Management
- Social Media Conduct
- Time Management
- Waiting Line Management
- Workplace Injury Prevention Strategies
- Work Site Organization and Tidiness
Homework and assignments are due every Saturday at 9PM PST. Just like any other college level course you cannot procrastinate until Saturday and get everything done... we recommend setting aside a portion of each day to work on your assignments and homework. If you are consistently late with your deadlines or cancel on scheduled job shadow opportunities / field trips you will be dropped from the course.
Most of our team's job shadowing work and field training is held on Friday nights and weekends. Specific dates and times fluctuate based on the real world work opportunities that arise.
Interns are required to attend field trips, on their own time and expense, during their internship to practice and develop the vocational skills that they would need to be a successful children's entertainer. Job shadow portions of training are held throughout the Los Angeles region at client venues for Southern California program members.
Interns are expected to complete unpaid computer-based learning and video watching modules on their own time to supplement in-person classes and training days. These self-paced modules last 1-12 hours and include written and video tutorials with a wide range of topics such as seasonal character prep guides, pop culture study, land and pool games demonstrations, how to do glitter tattoos, and tutorials on balloon twisting basics.
Failure to pass the written and practical exams on the learning modules repeatedly or in failing to maintain pace with the course outline will result in an Intern being removed from the program.
This internship requires extensive travel on weekends within the Los Angeles region to job shadow and learn from employees on real client sites. Any interns not in the Southern California region are subject to the schedule of their master teacher.
You must have a FUNCTIONAL, reliable, vehicle to be able to do this internship.
Interns are expected to have the following attire:
- 1 set of black business clothing (e.g. black slacks and a long sleeve buttoned shirt) with matching black shoes in good repair
- 1 set of fitness / day camp style clothing (e.g. black shorts or pants, plain hot pink unmarked shirt, sneakers)
Required COURSE MATERIALS
Just like any college level course, this course does have lab and field trip materials that need to be provided by each intern for themselves to be able to complete this course:
- Safety & Event Tools:
- 6 dive rings or colored cones
- 2 soft water bomb style hand held soft balls for in use in water and land
- 1 6-8' length of 1/2" thick line or rope, fused at the ends by lashing or melting.
- Cellphone with charger
- A way of hands-free recording video of yourself doing tasks
- Computer with printer and internet access
- Library card for your local library
- Car / reliable transportation
- A Gmail Account
- A Facebook Account
- Craft & Activity Supplies
- Glitter Tattoo Module:
- 20 glitter tattoo stencils
- Glitter adhesion glue
- Large "blush" or kabuki style brush
- Cosmetic grade glitter in 3 different colors
- Face Painting Module
- 1 Tackle Box or Other Carrying Case
- Diamond FX White Face Paint (32g minimum)
- Diamond FX Black Face Paint (32g minimum)
- TAG 12 color face paint palette
- 3/4" flat acrylic paint brush
- #1, #4, and #6 acrylic round brushes
- Small spray bottle
- Snowflake (1036), stars (1030), and scales (1004) BAM stencils
- 2 half round face paint sponges
- Water cup
- Wash cloth
- Makeup remover wipes
- 1 neon TAG split cake (3/4"-1" width size)
- 1 rainbow TAG or Diamond FX split cake (3/4"-1" width size)
- 1 each of the following Mehron Paradise Prisma Cakes: Cool, Hot
- 1 50g TAG cake: Fairy Floss
- 1 50g Diamond FX cake: Mega Melon
- Cosmetic Grade Holographic Multi Color Glitter
- Balloon Twisting Module
- 3 bags of Qualatex assorted size 260 balloons (250 count per bag)
- 1 Qualatex balloon pump (the pink and green color one)
- 1 black permanent marker
- 1 white paint pen
- Assorted other craft supplies for "create your own" exercises
- Glitter Tattoo Module:
- Required Reading Materials
- When loaned, Interns are not "given" company owned property and must return it within 24 hours of it being requested for return (for any reason).
- Any interns that are removed from the program or choose to leave the program must return all company-owned materials and property within 24 hours.
Being a professional children's entertainer is a difficult job that takes time, effort, and dedication to become exceptional at.... unfortunately not everyone is always able to master it.... what you put in to this program will ultimately determine your own success. As a result, being selected to start the internship program DOES NOT guarantee that you will complete the program or be offered a paid position or employment at our company.
Internships are NOT PAID. Interns are not eligible for any wages or travel-based compensation spent during the time of the internship.
What Does This Internship Prepare You For?
The variety of skills learned in this internship result in a balanced resume for people wishing to have better chances at success with improv-based auditions in Hollywood, hotel and resort children's clubs, children's party companies, wedding and other event planning companies, cruise ships, theme parks, Scouting programs, summer camps, day camps, recreational leader positions at local government and parks departments, and water park staff positions.
Our past trainees have gone on to successful careers in firefighting, emergency service / nursing, project management, production coordination, customer service, acting, and modeling.
We do not provide housing, food, benefits, relocation, vehicles, or any other form of monetary or other compensation to interns.
- Meet the Following Logistics / Work Authorizations / Availability Requirements:
- Be 18 or older
- Be a US Citizen
- Be fluent in English
- Be readily accessible via phone and email contact
- Have consistent weekend availability including 3/4 weekends per month between 11AM-5PM February 1 -October 31.
- Possess reliable transportation
- Meet or Exceed the Following Physical Requirements:
- Be physically able to lift and carry 50 pounds of weight on land.
- Be physically and mentally fit to physically work continuously for two hours or more with minimal breaks.
- No visible tattoos / ink or piercings on the upper half of the body OR have the ability and willingness to remove them / easily cover them with a costume, waterproof makeup, or accessory in 10 minutes or less on your own expense.
- Meet or Exceed the Following Personality Traits:
- Have larger than life, jovial authority and be able to efficiently take control of and lead a group of up to 25 children who are hyper on sugar, possibly tired or cranky, and definitely overstimulated from a party environment while maintaining a broad level awareness of their safety and emotional state
- Possess exemplary people skills, particularly in the aspects of kindness, compassion, and patience when working with children
- Have the ability to cheerfully engage an audience in a performance lasting 1-3 hours
- Enjoy working in crowds and stressful situations with the ability to brainstorm new ideas and games on the spot
- Be comfortable and happy in improvisational and method acting situations for extended periods of time
- Possess outgoing poise, style, charm, and confidence while maintaining character doing extemporaneous speaking