Professional Mermaid (Experienced Hires)
Professional mermaids are our lead actresses who are able to seamlessly juggle water safety, character-based acting, and intensive water play together in to a stellar, Disney-style, party entertainment service revolving around games, songs, education, safety, and imagination for ages 3+.
We are currently looking for amazing part-time on-call experienced female mermaids with current, valid, lifeguards certifications to add to our call list for work with our world-famous team on children's parties and water events in Southern California and Las Vegas, Nevada. We are also accepting completed applications for other American States for our mermaid and merman resource database for mermaids and mermen who possess the below skills, can prove that they have them through video audition / submissions, AND have their own professional grade silicone mermaid / merman tail.
Mermaids are assigned to parties based on their location, seniority, experience, and personality as client need arises. On average, on-call / part-time mermaids work 1-8 parties a month based on their location during the summer season. Non-California based resources are called on a project by project basis for casting consideration.
Pay & Perks
Pay starts at $40/hour for one hour of party work unless otherwise specified before event booking. We give people extra money for travel time (minimum wage), prep time (minimum wage), additional waiting time (minimum wage), gas, and allow our people to keep 100% of their tips. When everything is added up our experienced professional mermaids make, on average, $70-$150 before taxes for a one hour party.
We have some nice hidden perks too - we cover general liability insurance and worker's comp insurance on our employees at our events to make sure that they can get help if they ever need it, offer neat invite-only company day trips, parties, and ongoing educational opportunities, and take care of all the paperwork and other details so that our people can completely focus on performing to be their absolute best.
Mandatory Certification Requirement Warning
WE DO NOT HIRE ANY MERMAIDS WHO ARE NOT CERTIFIED LIFEGUARDS and who cannot prove a copy of their certification card, upon request, for validation.
A lifeguard certification is different from a basic babysitting or First Aid / CPR certification and says "lifeguard" on it. If you do not have a lifeguard certification you can sign up to take one through the American Red Cross.
Professional mermaids at Sheroes Entertainment are expected to be available for lifeguard work when not staffed as a character to an event. If you are not comfortable being staffed as a lifeguard when not working as a mermaid then this is NOT the job for you.
Experienced Hire Mermaid JOB REQUIREMENTS
Physical & Educational-Related Requirements:
- Candidates must be current on Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certifications.
- Please indicate if you also have current Lifeguard Instructor, Water Safety Instructor, SCUBA Rescue (or above), or Freediver certifications
- To find classes near you please visit http://www.redcross.org/courses/index.jsp?_requestid=872836
- Have proof of the California Child Care Workers: Mandated Reporter Training course completion
- To take this FREE three hour online course please visit: http://childcare.mandatedreporterca.com/default.htm
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Do not have any visible tattoos / ink or piercings on the upper half of the body OR have the ability and willingness to remove them / easily cover them with a costume or accessory in 10 minutes or less for party work on your own time and expense.
- Conform to ONE of the following wardrobe categories:
- Fit an existing company-owned silicone mermaid tail (27" absolute max around the natural waist, 36.5" absolute max hip around the widest part, between 5'2" - 5'10" tall).
- Have your own silicone grade professional mermaid tail from one of the following companies: Merbella Studios, Finfolk Productions, Mernation, Kariel / Tail of Art, or Mertailor (pro level silicone ONLY); personal tail usage is subject to company approval based on condition and appearance.
Job Skills Requirements:
- Organization and group management for groups of up to 20 children between the ages of 3-15
- Know how to apply a glitter tattoo (AKA glitter body art design)
- Know how to do stencil-based face painting with mastery of the following key skills: tear drops, line work, dots, stars, stripes, and outlining.
- Know how to lead 6 or more indoor games and 15 or more outdoor games and be able to lead them including: Simon Says, Red Light / Green Light, Charades, Freeze Tag, Duck, Duck, Goose, Telephone, Limbo, and Heads Up 7 Up
- Know how to do the following balloon twisting designs in 3 minute or less per design: dog, monkey, sword, flower, heart, bear, giraffe, crocodile, candy cane, ax, fairy wings, monkey, butterfly
- Know how to do the following balloon twisting designs in 5 minute or less per design: horse, mermaid, and princess
- Know at least 6 ocean themed children's songs and be able to teach them to group of children aged 4+
- Have the ability to head a five minute story in character with vocal projection, audience control, and inflection changes
- Know how to pose for photographs on deck and under water in tail
- Maintain proper buoyancy control with a breath hold of at least 20 seconds while swimming
- Be able to discuss a minimum of five ocean animals with child-appropriate facts and terminology
- Be able to discuss the current risks to the ocean and what people can do to solve them or reduce their impact
- Possess exceptional customer service skills including dispute resolution, taking care of children throwing temper tantrums, and client expectations management.
We highly recommend joining our Internship program if you do not have these skills. Our internship program is the #1 preparation program in America for children's pool party entertainers and provides teaching, practice, and feedback on core skills.
- Have three excellent water work or child care related references
- Have a clear criminal background
- Live in one of our service regions (e.g. Las Vegas, San Diego County, Orange County, Ventura County, Los Angeles County, Santa Barbara County)
- Possess reliable transportation
- Have high levels of enthusiasm and energy for work
- Possess exception communication, mclient management, customer service, and organizational skills
- Have consistent weekend availability - primarily Friday evenings after 4PM and Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 10AM-7PM
- Be readily accessible via email and phone
- Be 18 or older and authorized to work in the USA