Professional Mermaid (Experienced Hires)
Note: This page is for experienced professional mermaid hires only. If you do not have an existing party entertainment job background with extensive in-water work please go to the Mermaid Intern page instead or apply as a certified lifeguard.
We are currently looking for amazing part-time on-call female mermaids with current, valid, lifeguards certifications to add to our call list for work with our world-famous team on children's parties and water events in Southern California and Las Vegas, Nevada. WE DO NOT HIRE ANY MERMAIDS WHO ARE NOT CERTIFIED LIFEGUARDS and who cannot prove a copy of their certification card, upon request, for validation. If you do not have a certification you can sign up to take one through the American Red Cross.
Mermaids are assigned to parties based on their location, seniority, experience, and personality as client need arises. On average, on-call / part-time mermaids work 1-8 parties a month based on their location during the summer season. Professional mermaids at Sheroes Entertainment are expected to be available for lifeguard work when not staffed as a character to an event. If you are not comfortable being staffed as a lifeguard when not working as a mermaid then this is NOT the job for you.
Pay starts at $40/hour for one hour of party work unless otherwise specified before event booking. We give people extra money for travel time (minimum wage), prep time (minimum wage), additional waiting time (minimum wage), gas, and allow our people to keep 100% of their tips. When everything is added up our experienced professional mermaids make, on average, $70-$150 before taxes for a one hour party.
We have some nice hidden perks too - we cover general liability insurance and worker's comp insurance on our employees at our events to make sure that they can get help if they ever need it, offer neat invite-only company day trips, parties, and ongoing educational opportunities, and take care of all the paperwork and other details so that our people can completely focus on performing to be their absolute best.
Experienced Hire Mermaid JOB REQUIREMENTS
Physical & Educational-Related Requirements:
- Candidates must be current on Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certifications.
- Please indicate if you also have current Lifeguard Instructor, Water Safety Instructor, SCUBA Rescue (or above), or Freediver certifications
- To find classes near you please visit http://www.redcross.org/courses/index.jsp?_requestid=872836
- Possess a valid SafeSport certification (FREE - course available online at https://training.teamusa.org/store/details/1)
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Do not have any visible tattoos / ink or piercings on the upper half of the body OR have the ability and willingness to remove them / easily cover them with a costume or accessory in 10 minutes or less for party work on your own time and expense.
- Conform to ONE of the following wardrobe categories:
- Fit an existing company-owned silicone mermaid tail (27" absolute max around the natural waist, 36.5" absolute max hip around the widest part, between 5'2" - 5'10" tall).
- Have your own silicone grade professional mermaid tail from one of the following companies: Merbella Studios, Finfolk Productions, Mernation, Kariel / Tail of Art, or Mertailor (pro level silicone ONLY); personal tail usage is subject to company approval based on condition and appearance.
Job Skills Requirements:
- Organization and group management for groups of up to 20 children between the ages of 3-15
- Know how to apply a glitter tattoo (AKA glitter body art design)
- Know how to do face painting
- Know how to lead 6 or more indoor games and 15 or more outdoor games and be able to lead them including: Simon Says, Red Light / Green Light, Charades, Freeze Tag, Duck, Duck, Goose, Telephone, Limbo, and Heads Up 7 Up
- Know how to do the following balloon twisting designs (3 minute or less per design speed): dog, monkey, horse, sword, flower, heart, bear, candy cane, fairy wings, monkey, butterfly, mermaid, and princess
- Know at least 6 ocean themed children's songs and be able to teach them
- Have the ability to head a five minute story in character with vocal projection, audience control, and inflection changes
- Know how to pose for photographs on deck and under water in tail
- Maintain proper buoyancy control with a breath hold of at least 20 seconds while swimming
- Be able to discuss a minimum of five ocean animals with child-appropriate facts and terminology
- Be able to discuss the current risk to the ocean and what people can do to solve them or reduce their impact
- Possess exceptional customer service skills including dispute resolution, taking care of children throwing temper tantrums, and client expectations management.
- Have three excellent water work or child care related references
- Have a clear criminal background
- Live in one of our service regions (e.g. Las Vegas, San Diego County, Orange County, Ventura County, Los Angeles County, Santa Barbara County)
- Possess reliable transportation
- Have high levels of enthusiasm and energy for work
- Possess exception communication, mclient management, customer service, and organizational skills
- Have consistent weekend availability - primarily Friday evenings after 4PM and Saturday and Sunday afternoons from 10AM-7PM
- Be readily accessible via email and phone
- Be 18 or older and authorized to work in the USA