Mermaid Vocational Education: Train to Become a Professional Mermaid
Welcome to the spot that you have dreamed of your entire life - the chance see if you have what it takes to swim or perform in fairy tale circumstances for the most lavish parties, be the life for a party, be challenged to become your best by other smart, kind, and driven people, and to ultimately to be trained and recognized as a professional mermaid.
Our professional mermaid certification course is the most rigorous and comprehensive of its kind anywhere in the world. It's for people who want to be the very best at what they do and hope to achieve a Sheroes standard of excellence in their work with children.
The Professional Mermaid Certification Course is formatted like a full college vocational course with reading, writing, practical, and field trip assignments expressly designed to make you an extraordinary children's live entertainment performer. 100% of our professional mermaid training program graduates have been placed successfully in the live entertainment workforce, enabling them to immediately start work as a "pro" and earn money.
If you already have entertainment experience this vocational education course will STILL make you a better performer, challenging you to truly think hard about your art and to bring it to an extraordinary new level of mastery.
Please note - simply submitting an application DOES NOT guarantee an interview or a spot in our education program.
What is a Mermaid in Training?
A Mermaid in Training is a student in our Professional Mermaid Certification Course who is interested in learning how to become a professional mermaid and/or well-rounded children's performer with an emphasis in water-based education and entertainment.
What are the Course Pre-Requisites?
Pre-req's are listed below near the application. Please note that as part of our commitment to water safety all mermaid professional training course applicants must become a certified lifeguard before the course's completion or already be a certified American Red Cross Lifeguard with a valid, UNEXPIRED, certification to graduate. You can visit the American Red Cross online to find a lifeguard course near you. Lifeguard certification course fees and certification charges are the financial responsibility of the student.
How Long Does It Last
Five months at a minimum; the course takes longer if a student falls behind in any course requirements or has not shown sufficient mastery of a task / learning objective.
Each week of this course contains approximately 8-16 hours of homework and assignments, totaling 160-320 hours based on individual aptitude and/or pace.
What is the Method of Learning?
This vocational college-level course in professional mermaid work is comprised of video reviews, live calls, hands-on labs, pool practice, field trips, reading and writing assignments, video watching assignments, and real client site job shadowing with existing employees.
Can I get College Credit?
Possibly. That depends on your college or university's own guidelines related to vocational and continuing education credit. We can provide a written course syllabus to your college advisory panel if we are given their contact name and email address for discussion. We DO NOT track these people down for you. It is up to you to locate them and gather any needed documentation / forms from them for our team to help you fill out. Ultimately it is up to your college or university to approve or disprove any college credit opportunities. We do not have control over that decision.
Do you Accept Men?
Yes. Mermen In Training with fin-omenal, outgoing, energy, a good team work ethic, excellent backgrounds in child care, excellent fitness levels, and strong physical abilities are welcome too. We are an LGBTQ friendly company and have had men of both straight and gay orientations on our teams before.
Do You Accept People Outside of California?
Yes; we can accept remote learning applicants based in the USA to this program who are certified lifeguards and who are able to locate a master level performer (professional children's live event entertainer with established client base) in their region to work with for job shadowing assignments.
What are the Important Dates Relating to this course?
Applications are due the Fall before the course commences. Students have a Spring Semester format schedule to best prepare them for immediate work in summer months:
- November 9, 2018 - Deadline for all completed professional mermaid course applications for 2019 using the form at the bottom of this page - you need to have a lifeguard certification on file with us by this date for consideration
- November 12-16, 2018 - In person and phone/video based interviews for round 2 applicants
- November - December (Saturdays as scheduled) - In water testing for round 3 applicants
- December 1, 2019 - Acceptance communication starts being sent out to accepted students
- January 7, 2019 - First day of course
- May 24-26, 2019 - Final exam, final performance, and graduation party for successful professional mermaid course completions in Southern California (students are expected to travel to California for this final weekend only on their own expense).
What does this Professional Mermaid Certification Course cover?
The Mermaid in Training Professional Certification Course Covers Vocational Skills Related to Child-Centric Live Performance Art and Party Performance:
- Audience Engagement
- Balloon Design Artistry
- Character Development
- Costume and Prop Construction, Maintenance, and Repair
- Face Painting
- Glitter Body Art
- Improvisational Acting
- On Camera Conduct and Presentation for Still and Video (e.g. interview techniques, common set etiquette and terms)
- Script Concepts
- Story Telling
- Teaching Games
- Teaching Songs
- Vocal Inflection, Projection, and Dynamics
- Water and Land-Based Educational and Developmental Play for Children
- Water and Land-Based Fitness for Children and Adults
It Also Covers Vocational Skills Related to Workplace Readiness, Skills, and Culture:
- California Child Protection Laws
- Chemical & Materials Science Data Sheets and Safety
- Client Contract Comprehension
- Client Expectations Management
- Copyright Respect & Usage
- Customer Service
- Group Management
- Individual and Team-Based Problem Solving
- Market Research
- Project Planning & Goal Setting
- Proper Conduct in Client Settings
- Reading Comprehension
- Risk Management for Child-Based Events (both in and out of water)
- Safety at the Job Site
- Scope Management
- Social Media Conduct
- Time Management
- Waiting Line Management
- Workplace Injury Prevention Strategies
- Work Site Organization and Tidiness
And Yet More Additional Skills Relating to the Environment:
- Basics of Marine Animal and Ocean Life Ecology
- Basics of Marine Conservation Methods and Environmental Impacts of Trash and Pollution
- Beach Science & Tide Pool Animals
Homework and assignments are due every Sunday at 9PM PST. Just like any other college level courses you cannot procrastinate until Saturday and get everything done... we recommend setting aside a portion of each day to work on your assignments and homework. If you are consistently late with your deadlines or cancel on scheduled job shadow opportunities / field trips you will be dropped from the course.
Most of our team's job shadowing work and field training is held on Friday nights and weekends. Specific dates and times fluctuate based on the real world work opportunities that arise.
Professional Mermaid Training Course students are required to attend field trips, on their own time and expense, during their course to practice and develop the vocational skills that they would need to be a successful children's entertainer. Job shadow portions of training are held throughout the Los Angeles region at client venues for Southern California program members.
Mermaids in Training are expected to complete unpaid computer-based learning and video watching modules on their own time to supplement in-person classes and training days. These self-paced modules last 1-12 hours and include written and video tutorials with a wide range of topics such as seasonal character prep guides, pop culture study, land and pool games demonstrations, how to do glitter tattoos, and tutorials on balloon twisting basics.
Failure to pass the written and practical exams on the learning modules repeatedly or in failing to maintain pace with the course outline will result in a MIT being removed from the program.
If your lifeguard certification expires during this course it is your responsibility to renew it prior to the expiration date on your own time and expense.
Professional Mermaid Training Course students may experience extensive travel on weekends within the Los Angeles region to job shadow and learn from employees on real client sites. Any Mermaids in Training not in the Southern California region are subject to the schedule of their master teacher.
You must have a FUNCTIONAL, reliable, vehicle to be able to do this course.
Professional Mermaid Training Course students are expected to have the following attire:
- 1 set of black business clothing (e.g. black slacks and a long sleeve buttoned shirt OR a conservative black cocktail dress) with matching black shoes in good repair
- 1 set of fitness / day camp style clothing (e.g. black shorts or pants, plain hot pink unmarked shirt, clean sneakers)
- 1 set of swimming clothing (e.g. goggles, red lifeguard style swimsuit, towels)
Required COURSE MATERIALS
Just like any college level course, this course does have lab and field trip materials that need to be provided by each Professional Mermaid Training Course student for themselves to be able to complete this course:
- Safety & Event Tools:
- Lifeguard hip pack / fanny pack with gloves, first aid kit, and CPR mask
- Lifeguard rescue tube
- Your own silicone or fabric mermaid training tail with matching secure swim top such as those available from FinFun, Mertailor, The Two Tails, Finfolk, Mernation, Merbella, or SwimTails
- Sinus Saver nose plugs
- Red lifeguard style swimsuit
- 6 dive rings
- 2 soft water bomb style hand held soft balls for in use in water
- 1 6-8' length of 1/2" thick line or rope, fused at the ends by lashing or melting.
- Cellphone with charger
- A way of hands-free recording video of yourself doing tasks
- Computer with printer and internet access
- Library card for your local library
- Car / reliable transportation
- Craft & Activity Supplies
- Glitter tattoo kit (stencils, glue, large brush, glitter in 3 different colors)
- TAG neon white face paint and neon face paint palette
- 1 neon TAG split cake
- 3/4" flat acrylic paint brush
- #1 and #6 acrylic round brushes
- Small spray bottle
- Snowflake, stars, scales BAM brand stencils
- 2 half round face paint sponges
- Water cup
- Wash cloth
- Makeup remover wipes
- 3 bags of Qualatex assorted size 260 balloons (250 count per bag)
- 1 Qualatex balloon pump (the pink and green color one)
- 1 black permanent marker
- 1 white paint pen
- Assorted other craft supplies for "create your own" exercises during course
- Required Reading Materials
- Professional Mermaid Training Course students are not "given" company owned property and must return it within 24 hours of it being requested for return (for any reason).
- Any Professional Mermaid Training Course students that are removed from the program or choose to leave the program must return all company-owned materials and property within 24 hours.
Being a professional mermaid or children's entertainer is a difficult job that takes time, effort, and dedication to become exceptional at.... unfortunately not everyone is always able to master it.... what you put in to this program will ultimately determine your own success. As a result, being selected as a Mermaid in Training to start the Professional Mermaid Training Course program DOES NOT guarantee that you will complete the program or be offered a paid position or employment at our company.
Professional Mermaid Training Course tuition is $250 per week or $1000 per month.
What Does This Professional Mermaid Certification Course Prepare You For?
The variety of skills learned in this Professional Mermaid Training Course result in a balanced resume for people wishing to have better chances at success with improv-based auditions in Hollywood, hotel and resort children's clubs, children's party companies, wedding and other event planning companies, cruise ships, theme parks, Scouting programs, summer camps, day camps, recreational leader positions at local government and parks departments, and water park staff positions.
Our past trainees have gone on to successful careers as internationally featured professional mermaids, to careers in firefighting, emergency service / nursing, project management, production coordination, customer service, teaching, acting, and modeling.
We do not provide housing, food, benefits, relocation, vehicles, or any other form of monetary or other compensation.
- Meet the Following Logistics / Work Authorizations / Availability Requirements:
- Be 18 or older
- Be a US Citizen
- Be fluent in English
- Be readily accessible via phone and email contact
- Have consistent weekend availability including 3/4 weekends per month between 11AM-5PM April 1 -June 1.
- Possess reliable transportation
- Meet or Exceed the Following Water Skills Requirements:
- Already be a certified American Red Cross Lifeguard with a valid, UNEXPIRED, cert. or pass this course on your own time and expense prior to graduation day. Visit the American Red Cross online to find a course near you.
- Be able to swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 25 yards without stopping.
- Be able to efficiently swim a 400 yard freestyle without the use of swim aids and using any stroke but the back stroke in less than 12 minutes without stopping.
- Perform a 2 minute tread in water while tucking hands under the armpits or holding hands above the head without stopping.
- Be able to swim while carrying a 10 pound weight 25 yards without stopping and without letting the weight go under water.
- Meet or Exceed the Following Physical Requirements:
- Be physically able to lift and carry 40 pounds of weight on land.
- Be physically and mentally fit to physically work continuously for two hours or more with minimal breaks.
- No visible tattoos / ink or piercings on the upper half of the body OR have the ability and willingness to remove them / easily cover them with a costume, waterproof makeup, or accessory in 10 minutes or less on your own expense.
- Meet or Exceed the Following Personality Traits:
- Have larger than life, jovial authority and be able to efficiently take control of and lead a group of up to 25 children who are hyper on sugar, possibly tired or cranky, and definitely overstimulated from a party environment while maintaining a broad level awareness of their safety and emotional state
- Possess exemplary people skills, particularly in the aspects of kindness, compassion, and patience when working with children
- Have the ability to cheerfully engage an audience in a performance lasting 1-3 hours
- Enjoy working in crowds and stressful situations with the ability to brainstorm new ideas and games on the spot
- Be comfortable and happy in improvisational and method acting situations for extended periods of time
- Possess outgoing poise, style, charm, and confidence while maintaining character doing extemporaneous speaking